31 July 2009

The Thinnest Pastry


My first proper attempt at pate de sable Went brilliantly - if you discount that I didn't make enough so the cases look rather raggedy however I assure you they tasted as intended. Since my mother gave me the sacred bible of pastry by Michel Roux I have been working through the long list of pastries in an attempt to perfect them all. Pate de sable was excellent in making biscuits so I thought I'd give the recipe a try as rhubarb tarts. The fingertip rubbing of butter and sugar for about half an hour is pretty tiring and could make most people reach for the food mixer but it does work, the mixture was soft as flesh and produced light biscuit thin as paper bases which were great with summer deserts when a thick slab of pastry is too much with your pink champagne!

I'll update the recipe when I get home as it's in the book and wouldn't want you trying an inferior version!

No comments: